Curriculum Vitae 2022-2023
2015-2020 PhD, Jewish History / Museum Studies (minor), University of Minnesota
2013-2015 Master of Arts, Religious Studies, University of Toronto
2011-2012 Master of Arts in Teaching, Judaic Studies, Brandeis University
2007-2011 Bachelor of Arts, Anthropology / Classics / Religion, Brandeis University
Summa cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa, with highest honours in Anthropology
EMPLOYMENT HISTORY AND TEACHING EXPERIENCE
Postdoctoral Fellowship, University of Toronto Faculty of Arts & Science (2023-2025). Research fellow for Mellon-funded Hidden Stories project focusing on early modern Jewish book cultures.
Visiting Assistant Professor of Religion, St. Olaf College (2022-2023). Courses taught:
- “The Art of the Medieval Book” (ART 276)
- “The Hebrew Bible: Historical and Literary Approaches” (REL 122)
- “Introduction to Judaism” (REL 248)
- “Jews in the World of Islam” (REL 120)
Adjunct Assistant Professor, United Theological Seminary of the Twin Cities (2023). Courses taught:
- “The Art of Scripture” (AT4004)
Adjunct Assistant Professor, University of Minnesota (2022-2023). Courses taught:
- “History of Modern Israel and Palestine: Society, Culture, and Politics” (HIST 3512)
- “Muslims and Jews: Conflict and Co-existence” (HIST 3511)
Adjunct Assistant Professor, University of St. Thomas (2020-2021). Courses taught:
- “The Middle East and North Africa in Global Perspective” (HIST 118)
Adjunct Assistant Professor, Franklin & Marshall College (2020-2021). Courses taught:
- “Premodern Jewish History: Jews of East and West Through the Middle Ages” (HIS 153)
HONOURS AND AWARDS
- Junior Fellow, Andrew Mellon Society of Fellows in Critical Bibliography, 2022-2024
- Dissertation Completion Fellowship, Association for Jewish Studies, 2019-2020
- Research Scholarship, Consortium for the Study of the Premodern World/Minneapolis Institute of Arts, 2018-2019
- Research Award, Hadassah-Brandeis Institute, 2018
- Riv-Ellen Prell Award for the Study of Jewish Culture, UMN Center for Jewish Studies, 2018
- Doctoral Scholarship, Memorial Foundation for Jewish Culture, 2018
- Amos S. Deinard Fellowship in Jewish History, UMN Department of History, 2015-2016
- “‘He Should Prepare a Sauce’: Recovering a Haroset Recipe from ‘Abbasid Iraq.” Jewish Quarterly Review 113.4 (Fall 2023), 561-566.
- ““In Search of Special Sensations”: Moïse (Maurice) Zekri’s Disorderly Life between Algeria and France (1879-1942).” Co-authored with Leslie Choquette (Assumption University). French Colonial History 21 (2023).
- “Confession of Sodomy & Judaizing (Brazil, 1593),” “A Gender-Bending Jewish Runaway (New France, 1738),” and “A Rabbi Counsels a Gay Jewish G.I. (New York, 1944).” In Jews Across the Americas, 1492-Present, eds. Adriana Brodsky and Laura Leibman (NYU Press, 2023), 20-22; 70-72; 385-388.
- “The Bible in North Africa: Modern Judaism.” Encyclopedia of the Bible and Its Reception, Vol 21, eds. Constance M. Furey et al. (De Gruyter, 2023), 766-768.
- “‘Ask Now the Beasts and They Shall Teach You’: Qalonymos ben Qalonymos and his Hebrew Translation of the Epistle of the Animals.” In Iberian Babel: Multilingualism and Translation in the Medieval and the Early Modern Mediterranean, eds. Michelle Hamilton and Nuria Silleras-Fernandez (Brill, 2022), 105-123.
- “Invisible Neighbors: Encounters with Demons among Jews and Muslims in Morocco.” In Jews and Muslims in Morocco: Their Intersecting Worlds, eds. Joseph Chetrit, Drora Arussy, and Jane Gerber (Lexington Press, 2021), 163-188.
- “Shakshuka for All Seasons: Tunisian Jewish Foodways at the Turn of the Twentieth Century.” In Making Levantine Cuisine: Modern Foodways of the Eastern Mediterranean, eds. Anny Gaul, Graham Auman Pitts, and Vicki Valosik (University of Texas Press, 2021), 170-183.
- “Rabbis with Inky Fingers: the Making of an 18th-Century Hebrew Book between Amsterdam and North Africa.” The Jewish Bookshop of the World: Aspects of Print and Manuscript Culture in Early Modern Amsterdam / Studia Rosenthaliana, vol. 46 (forthcoming, Fall 2020).
- “‘Remarkable Objects of the Three Religions’: Judaica in Early Modern European Collections.” Journal of the History of Collections, Volume 31, Issue 1 (2019), 17-29.
- “‘It is a Minhag’: Algerian Judaism Through the Eyes of a Hebrew-Christian Missionary.” University of Toronto Journal of Jewish Thought, vol. 1, no. 5, 2015.
- “Henna.” Encyclopedia of Jews in the Islamic World, 2nd ed. (ed. Noam Stillman). Leiden: Brill, 2013.
- “Ten Unanswered Questions: An Unconventional Interview with Eve Adams.” In Geveb: A Journal of Yiddish Studies, 2021.
- “Pearl Hart.” The Shalvi/Hyman Encyclopedia of Jewish Women (jwa.org), 2021.
- A Rainbow Thread: An Anthology of Queer Jewish Texts from the First Century to 1969 (ed.). Print-O-Craft (PA), 2019. Winner of 2019 Reference Award from the Association of Jewish Libraries, and 2019 Anthology Award from the Lambda Literary Association.
- “Spinning a Rainbow Thread: Reflections on Writing Queer Jewish History,” G’vanim: the Journal of the Academy for the Jewish Religion, Vol. 10 (2019), 1-13.
- “A Rainbow Thread.” Article published in Protocols, Issue 4: Pirkei Avot, November 2018, available online here.
- “A Forgotten Gay Jewish Pioneer Rises Again.” Article published in Tablet Magazine, Jan. 2018, available online here.
PROFESSIONAL WORK EXPERIENCE
- Lead Instructor, Workshop on Sephardi and Mizrahi Paleography (Yale University), 2024.
- Lead Symposium Organizer, “Letters That Link Us: Histories and Mysteries of Hebrew Type” (University of Minnesota), 2024.
- Affiliate Scholar, “Jewish & Queer in the Federal City” (Lillian and Albert Small Capital Jewish Museum), 2023-2024.
- Lead Instructor, Bodleian Library Summer Workshop on Hebrew Manuscripts (Oxford University), 2022 and 2023.
- Lead Instructor, Workshop on Sephardi and Mizrahi Paleography (Jewish Theological Seminary), 2023.
- Affiliate Scholar, “Twin Cities Houses of Worship 1849-1924 Research Project” (University of Minnesota), 2022-2023.
- Affiliate Scholar, “International Forum on Judaica Provenance” (National Library of Israel and Association of Jewish Libraries), 2022-2023.
- Affiliate Scholar, “In Plain Sight: Jewish Material Culture in the Long History of Islam” (Magnes Collection, UC Berkeley), 2021-2022.
- Postdoctoral Researcher, Princeton Geniza Lab (Princeton University), Summer 2021.
- Research Affiliate, Manuscript Migration Lab (Duke University), 2020-2021.
- Instructor and Program Co-ordinator, “The Medieval Book in the K-12 Classroom” (UMN Center for Medieval Studies), 2017-2020.
- Research Fellow, “Turkish Rugs on Tudor Walls” (Minneapolis Institute of Arts), Fall 2018.
Full CV, lectures and presentations, and references available upon request.