Curriculum Vitae 2018-2019
2015-present PhD, History / Museum Studies (minor), University of Minnesota
2013-2015 Master of Arts, Religious Studies, University of Toronto
2011-2012 Master of Arts in Teaching, Jewish Education, Brandeis University
2007-2011 Bachelor of Arts, Anthropology / Classics, Brandeis University
Summa cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa, with highest honours in Anthropology
HONOURS AND AWARDS
- Research Scholarship, Consortium for the Study of the Premodern World/Minneapolis Institute of Arts, 2018-2019
- Research Award, Hadassah-Brandeis Institute, 2018
- Riv-Ellen Prell Award for the Study of Jewish Culture, UMN Center for Jewish Studies, 2018
- Doctoral Scholarship, Memorial Foundation for Jewish Culture, 2018
- Amos S. Deinard Fellowship in Jewish History, UMN Department of History, 2015-2016
- “‘Remarkable Objects of the Three Religions’: Judaica in Early Modern European Collections.” Journal of the History of Collections, Volume 31, Issue 1 (2019), 17-29.
- “Review: Extraterritorial Dreams: European Citizenship, Sephardi Jews, and the Ottoman Twentieth Century.” Journal of North African Studies, vol. 22, no. 5, 2017.
- “Review: Divided Rule: Sovereignty and Empire in French Tunisia, 1881-1938.” Middle Ground Journal, no. 12, 2016.
- “‘It is a Minhag’: Algerian Judaism Through the Eyes of a Hebrew-Christian Missionary.” University of Toronto Journal of Jewish Thought, vol. 1, no. 5, 2015.
- “Review: A Cultural History of Jewish Dress.” Journal of Modern Jewish Studies, vol. 13, no. 3, 2014.
- “Henna.” Encyclopedia of Jews in the Islamic World, 2nd ed. (ed. Noam Stillman). Leiden: Brill, 2013.
- “Spinning a Rainbow Thread: Reflections on Writing Queer Jewish History,” G’vanim: the Journal of the Academy for the Jewish Religion, forthcoming.
- A Rainbow Thread: An Anthology of Queer Jewish Texts from the First Century to 1969. Print-O-Craft (PA), 2019.
- “A Rainbow Thread.” Article published in Protocols, Issue 4: Pirkei Avot, November 2018, available online here.
- “A Forgotten Gay Jewish Pioneer Rises Again.” Article published in Tablet Magazine, Jan. 2018, available online here.
EVENTS AND INVITED LECTURES
- “LGBTQ Jewish Identity Today: A Panel Discussion,” Hamline University, Mar. 2019
- “Finding Our Queer Jewish Ancestors: A Not-So-Traditional Text Study,” University of Calgary (Hillel / Queer Student Group / Interfaith Chaplaincy), Mar. 2019.
- “Reflections on Queer Jewish History.” University of Chicago, Mar. 2019.
- “Queer Historiographies of Jewish Gender.” Mt Holyoke College, Nov. 2018.
- “A Rainbow Thread: Intersections of the Queer Jewish Past and Future.” Smith College, Nov. 2018.
- “Recovering Queer Jewish History,” Limmud Toronto, Oct. 2018
- “Hearing Her Voice: Testimonies of Jewish Lesbians,” Tiqqun Leil Shavu‘ot (Beth Jacob Congregation), May 2018
- “Freedom and Liberation: Queer Jewish History in Minnesota,” Telling Queer History (Hennepin County Library), April 2018
- “Looking for LGBTQI Jewish Ancestors.” Course offered at National Havurah Institute, West Hartford, CT, July 2017.