Curriculum Vitae 2019-2020
2015-2020 PhD, History / Museum Studies (minor), University of Minnesota
2013-2015 Master of Arts, Religious Studies, University of Toronto
2011-2012 Master of Arts in Teaching, Jewish Education, Brandeis University
2007-2011 Bachelor of Arts, Anthropology / Classics, Brandeis University
Summa cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa, with highest honours in Anthropology
HONOURS AND AWARDS
- Dissertation Completion Fellowship, Association for Jewish Studies, 2019-2020
- Research Scholarship, Consortium for the Study of the Premodern World/Minneapolis Institute of Arts, 2018-2019
- Research Award, Hadassah-Brandeis Institute, 2018
- Riv-Ellen Prell Award for the Study of Jewish Culture, UMN Center for Jewish Studies, 2018
- Doctoral Scholarship, Memorial Foundation for Jewish Culture, 2018
- Amos S. Deinard Fellowship in Jewish History, UMN Department of History, 2015-2016
- “History of the Middle East and North Africa,” University of St. Thomas (St. Paul, MN), Fall 2020 (adjunct instructor).
- “Muslims and Jews: Conflict and Co-existence since 1700,” University of Minnesota (Minneapolis, MN), Summer 2019 (graduate instructor).
- “Civilization and the Environment: World History to 1500,” University of Minnesota (Minneapolis, MN), Spring 2017 (teaching assistant).
- “The Age of Global Contact,” University of Minnesota (Minneapolis, MN), Fall 2016 (teaching assistant).
- “‘Remarkable Objects of the Three Religions’: Judaica in Early Modern European Collections.” Journal of the History of Collections, Volume 31, Issue 1 (2019), 17-29.
- “Review: Extraterritorial Dreams: European Citizenship, Sephardi Jews, and the Ottoman Twentieth Century.” Journal of North African Studies, vol. 22, no. 5, 2017.
- “Review: Divided Rule: Sovereignty and Empire in French Tunisia, 1881-1938.” Middle Ground Journal, no. 12, 2016.
- “‘It is a Minhag’: Algerian Judaism Through the Eyes of a Hebrew-Christian Missionary.” University of Toronto Journal of Jewish Thought, vol. 1, no. 5, 2015.
- “Review: A Cultural History of Jewish Dress.” Journal of Modern Jewish Studies, vol. 13, no. 3, 2014.
- “Henna.” Encyclopedia of Jews in the Islamic World, 2nd ed. (ed. Noam Stillman). Leiden: Brill, 2013.
- “Spinning a Rainbow Thread: Reflections on Writing Queer Jewish History,” G’vanim: the Journal of the Academy for the Jewish Religion, forthcoming.
- A Rainbow Thread: An Anthology of Queer Jewish Texts from the First Century to 1969. Print-O-Craft (PA), 2019.
- “A Rainbow Thread.” Article published in Protocols, Issue 4: Pirkei Avot, November 2018, available online here.
- “A Forgotten Gay Jewish Pioneer Rises Again.” Article published in Tablet Magazine, Jan. 2018, available online here.
EVENTS AND INVITED LECTURES
- “Rabbis with Inky Fingers: Making 18th-Century Hebrew Books.” Minnesota Center for Book Arts, Jul. 2020.
- “People of the Book: An Introduction to Jewish Book History.” Four-part online series, MyJewishLearning.com, Jun. 2020.
- “Jewish Life in the Premodern Islamic World.” Western Washington University, Apr. 2020.
- “The Labour of Jewish Bookmaking in the Early Modern Mediterranean,” University of Minnesota Center for Jewish Studies Colloquium Series, Feb. 2020.
- “Jews, Muslims, and Christians in the Premodern Mediterranean.” St. Olaf University, Nov. 2019.
- “North African Jews and Global Connections, 300-1450 CE.” University of Minnesota, Mar. 2019.
- “Introduction to Judaism as a World Religion.” Southwest Minnesota State University, Oct. 2017.
- “Illuminating the Word: Scripture as Visual Object.” St. Olaf College, Mar. 2017.
- “The History of Scribes and Scribal Art in Judaism.” Gustavus Adolphus College, Jan. 2017.